Get ready, the deer are coming out of the woods and they’re going to mow down your hostas, azaleas, black-eyed susans and whatever they get their little deer mouths on! Deer friendly plants? If your deer friendly plants are in the feeding path, it seems like there’s no stopping them.
I’ve used a bunch of recipies that have been home brews and it’s time to share the one that’s worked best. Deer Repellent Homemade Plant/shrub spray to keep deer away.
Here’s what you need: 2 eggs, hot sauce (tobasco like), water, and a 1 liter spray pressure pump spray bottle, and 1 cloths pin (for your nose!)
Homemade Deer Repellent Recipe
- Blend two eggs in a blender at high speed
- Mix in a cup of cold water – continue to blend
- Add 2 tablespoons of Tabasco or equivalent hot sauce
- Mix again – pour contents into 1 liter spray bottle
- Fill the spray bottle to the top with cold water
- Let the mixture sit for 24 hours before spraying on plants/shrubs.
- Shake the spray bottle for a minute or so.
- Make sure the plants are going to be dry for 24 hours.
- Put cloths pin on your nose.
- Spray on and around plants.
- The eggs dry on the plants with the hot sauce embedded. When the deer come for a taste, they smell it and don’t like it. If they go for a taste, they back off quickly.
- Sometimes the mix will need to be strained (if you don’t blend in a blender, e.g. you’re lazy like me and just mix eggs in a bowl with a fork!). Tip: You will be mad when you have to open the spray bottle and wiff this stuff!
I’m in an area of New Jersey that’s HEAVY with deer and have often planted themselves right next to the house and go at it.
Do you have a recipe?
Do you have a recipe that works? I’ve read some crazy recipes ranging from human hair to urine. Post one if you’ve found one that REALLY WORKS.
And if all else fails, hit em with lead! They normally don’t like lead!