Many people have asked why post all this history stuff on the area you’re calling the Somerset Hills. Well, call it passion. Call it intrigue. Call it local awareness. I think that the main reason is whenever I asked a question about history in the area, the information wasn’t available. I didn’t want to wait to go to the library, and I didn’t have time to go to the local historical societies. But I moved to the area and said, “If I’m gonna be a local, I need to learn something about the history”.
In today’s era of “give it to me now”, we’ve become a bit spoiled regarding information. We want it fast and we want it now. So here it is… my masterpiece.
Why Somerset Hills?
The Somerset Hills is a New Jersey area in Somerset County including the towns of Bedminster, Basking Ridge/Bernards Township, Bernardsville, Far Hills, and Peapack/Gladstone. Wow that’s a mouthful. In an effort to open up history of this area on the internet, we’ve partnered with a number of non-profit historical societies and local historical efforts to assist their transition to the internet. But as it took a long time to create history, it’s going to take a while to bend some minds and get some to understand that the internet is just a different way to communicate information.
So here’s this blog. Our attempt to post of few items, and see what you’ve got to say. We’d love to hear your thoughts. There’s a good attempt at a Historical Mapping Mashup.
An overview and press release can be found at http://www.t3consortium.com/media/pr_2007_03_somerset_hills_history_mashup.htm
- Alward Homestead / Alward Farmhouse ,
- Bedminster Hotel / Howard Hotel / Willie’s Tavern,
- Boudinot-Southard-Ross Property,
- Coffee House – 1804 House (Private),
- Dr. Henry and Phoebe Vanderveer House,
- Essex Hunt Club – Private,
- Far Hills Race Meeting Site,
- Gladstone Train Station,
- Historic District – Basking Ridge,Historic District – Franklin Corners,Historic District – Lamington, Historic District – Liberty Corner,Historic District – Pluckemin,Historic District – Pottersville,
- Jacobus Vanderveer House (Public),
- Jockey Hollow – Morristown Ntl Historic Park,
- John Jacob Astor Estate (Public),
- Lamington Black Cemetery,
- Lord Stirling Manor,
- Lore – Devils Tomb,Lore – Jacobs Ladder,
- Lore – Phareloch Haunted Castle (Private),
- Lore – The Devil Tree,
- Lore – Vealtown Tavern,
- Mansion – Blairsden (Private),
- Mansion – Boulderwood (Private),
- Mansion – Craigmore (Private),
- Mansion – Hamilton Farm (Public/Private),
- Mansion – Mosey/Hillandale Estate – (Private),
- Mansion – Natirar Estate – Kate Macy Ladd,
- Mansion – Peachcroft (Private),
- Mansion – Shale House (Private),
- Mansion – Stronghold (Private),
- Mansion – The Maples,
- Mansion – Trump / Delorean Estate,
- Mansion – Upton Pyne (Private),
- Mansion – USGA Museum – Frothingham Estate,Mansion – Kenilwood (Private),Mansion – Yademos (Private),
- McDonald’s/Kline’s Mills (Private),
- Mellick – This Old Farm,
- Peapack Limestone Kiln,
- Pluckemin Artillery Encampment (Private),
- Reynolds – Scherman House (Private),
- The Brick Academy,
- Widow Whites Tavern Site.
Older version – Click Here.